Fox

Fox

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Being A Mom

I haven't talked about L or being pregnant this time very much. Probably because I have a toddler that I can barely keep up with, due to the lack of oxygen I have because of baby girl in my lungs all the time! However as L is taking her nap I was just thinking about her and really how amazing she is. Motherhood is such a world wind and I think a lot of the time I feel like I'm not doing enough or I'm not being the mom she needs. However these past couple month L has surprised me with her maturity and communication skills. In no way I can take full credit for that, she is the most independent child I know. Since she was born she has known what she wanted and I have tried to provide ways for her to learn how to get them.I also read so many books and articles on parenting. Then I talk with Robbie and then we adjust if need be.
Adjusting is something I have tried to take to heart as becoming a mom, because lets face it nothing on a daily bases is the same and no matter how much planning you have done, your baby has other plans in mind or even emotions.
I also like to say that I never thought I would be that  mom that is semi strict about naps or having an elaborate sleep set up for my child. But here you go. We have always feed and rocked L to sleep since she was a baby. She has never been a cuddlier and never wanted to sleep in our bed (I know your thinking what! why are you complaining) Even as a new born she preferred her bassinet over sleeping next to me, she hated being swaddled and never liked a sling wrap things that people swear by. So feeding/sleep time was that connection time for both Robbie and I.
Here is the thing, people swear not to do that, that they become dependent on it. But amazingly L has adjusted at each stage when she was ready. At nine months she decided she was done breast feeding, at 9 months she decided she didn't like bottles so we switched to a sippie cup. She crawled at around 6 months and she walked at 11 months. She never liked a binky as a baby so that wasn't an issue. Till her side and back teeth came in and then she wanted a binky to just chew on and play with. She does have a blanket that she is very much attached to and has to have it everywhere we go. She started on solids at around 4 to 5 months. She has slept through the night since she was 9 or 10 months old and sleeps till 7:30am-8am! She has always taken naps and if she doesn't its basically the worst day for everyone. Now I'm not saying this to brag or that I have the "perfect child" Because believe me she has her moments and days. We all get frustrated and we all get upset. I say this because I think we get wrapped up in what people say, what articles tell us to do, what books recommend and why. I mean its all great information and some or all of it is very helpful to us. But I think sometimes we have to trust our self. Trust our instincts or even try something that goes against what is "recommended". We are given these little humans because we are meant to be the best parent for them, to teach them the most important things in this life. We aren't perfect at it and we make mistakes but that's also good for our kids to see and understand.
With L I chose to feed her, her milk and then rock her to sleep. She also has black out curtains, a noise maker, a fan and sometimes a humidify going. We take almost all of that stuff with us when we travel!I know we are committed. However she sleeps through the night and doesn't get up at the crack of dawn. I will tell you, the last couple weeks she has had her milk while Robbie or I rock her and when she is done, she hands us her cup and then says "rib, rib" meaning crib. We lay her down and she goes to sleep. No fuss no tantrums. Putting pjs on is a whole other issue (I mean you would think we were hurting her ) but anyways. L has shown me that I know whats best for her, and by trusting myself and doing things that seem a little over kill I have truly enjoyed. I have enjoyed watching her fall asleep in my arms even with a growing belly and her soon to be baby sister kicking L. I have enjoyed watching her grow from my arms to my lap. I have heard special promptings as I just sat there and listened. In these moments I was prompted two weeks before L decided to stop breast feeding that I should cherish these moments because they weren't going to last. Little did I know how fast. Others have been to enjoy these single moments with her because it will never just be you and her again, which is good but remember, remember these moments.
L is my world right now, my first baby and the best little girl I could have asked for. but I owe everything to my Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother. For showing me how to be her mom and how to love her in the best way, to teach her, and to grow with her. Babies are hard truly! But they teach us so many lessons in life and show us the true meaning of our Savior.
Sorry this is a little longer then I expected but I hope you enjoyed!
Shanel



No comments:

Post a Comment